The recipe of the eggplants with chocolate is a particular and fanciful dessert that is part of the tradition of Campania cuisine and in particular of the city of Maiori.
It is said that it was born in a monastery in Atrani, a coastal town a few kilometers from Maiori, where the friars created a cake with eggplants covered with chocolate and liqueur.
In September, this typical specialty is celebrated in a thousand delicious variations with a festival that attracts visitors from all over the world.
S0, the preparation dates back to an ancient recipe that the local women jealously preserve.
We propose below one of the versions of our knowledge:
- 1.5 kg of aubergines
- 650 ml of water
- 200 grams of bitter cocoa powder
- 200 grams of candied orange
- 300 grams of chopped dark chocolate
- 150 grams of flour
- 200 grams of chopped walnuts
- 200 grams of pine nuts
- 600 grams of sugar
- Wash and cut the eggplants into slices, arrange them in a colander by salting them and covering them with a lid and leave them to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate cream by melting the sugar in 325 grams of water then add the dark chocolate and melt well stirring to avoid attack. In a bowl mix the remaining 325 ml of water with the bitter cocoa powder and the flour then add this mixture to the syrup prepared previously continuing to cook over low heat, stirring, to not to attack.
- Wash the eggplants and fry them in plenty of boiling oil then dab them with the absorbent paper and begin to assemble by preparing a first layer of chocolate cream followed by a layer of eggplants to cover with other cream, pine nuts, chopped walnuts and candied orange and continuing in this until you reach the end of the oven dish and run out of eggplants and cream.
- Refrigerate for a whole night, then serve at room temperature or cold.
Preparation time: 3 hours